When you’re hosting family and friends over the holidays, breakfast can be a bit tricky. No one wants the inevitable sugar crash that the bagel or donut breakfast brings. The sure-fire way to avoid it (and cranky kids and hangry grown-ups) is to eat a breakfast with high fiber carbs and PROTEIN. Yes, protein my friends, is the key to a peaceful holiday season. Ok, maybe not, but it will help you stay fueled and energized and able to deal with those wonderful family gatherings. 🙂
- 1/2 cup rolled oats ("Old Fashioned" not instant)
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tblsp. chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (lowfat, almond, hemp, flax, etc...)
- 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup blueberries, divided
- 4 tblsp. pure maple syrup (optional)
- In a high speed blender or food processor, process the rolled oats to a fine powder.
- Pour oats into a medium bowl. Place egg whites, eggs, chia seeds, vanilla, milk, salt, and cottage cheese into blender (or food processor) and blend until well combined.
- Pour blender ingredients into bowl with oats and mix well.
- Gently fold in 1/2 cup blueberries.
- Warm the other 1/2 cup of blueberries on stove or in microwave.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium-high heat.
- Pour batter in circles, approximately 1/3 cup per pancake. Cook 2-3 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Flip, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Top with warmed blueberries, or for added decadence (and more carbs and sugar) drizzle each serving with 2 tblsp. maple syrup.
*Calories per serving without maple syrup. Add 100 calories and 29 grams of sugar per 2 tblsp. syrup.
Each serving contains 21 grams of Protein.